Sunday, December 1, 2013

"They called me the hyacinth girl."

My name is Carla Nevers.

It is not my real name. I haven't used by real name in a very long time. I tend to change the name I use every few years, just for practical purposes. I've been using Carla Nevers for the past few months and I've gotten used to it. I like it.

I have another name, however, a name that never changes: the Hierophant.

The streets outside are cold. Gray clouds are gathering in the sky. It's going to rain pretty soon. I can feel it coming. There's a tingling sensation, a feeling that comes before a lightning strike. I get that feeling before there's a storm. I'm never caught unaware -- I always have my umbrella when I need it.

Of course, I have lots of things before I need them (money, fake ID, a weapon). Because I know when I need them. I know lots of things.

I am the Hierophant. I am the Teacher, the Imparter of Knowledge. Which means I know things. Lots of things.

Helen's almost back. We're going to have to move on soon. It was nice staying in a hotel for the past week, but now it's back to sleeping in the car, until we find the next place where we're needed.

We're not running. We're moving up the coast, following a pattern so obscure it's invisible. But I know where it is. I know lots of things.

We're following the Fears.

My name is Carla Nevers. I am the Hierophant.

Welcome to the Waste Land.

1 comment:

  1. Oh crap, titles. We all know how well that goes, just ask Zero.

    ReplyDelete